So lately I’ve been trying to manage my time better, with countless personal projects and legacy applications to support I find not properly tracking what I’m doing to surprisingly be more of a waste of time than tracking my time, even when you take in the time lost by tracking said time.
Ran into the problem last night that a long email was messing up a design in smaller screen resoloutions.
Perfect fix down below:
So lately I’ve been playing around with PyroCMS, for any of you who don’t know about Pyro, its basically an open source content management solution thats based on the CodeIgnitor framework. What does that mean you ask?
- MVC design pattern. (Model->View->Controller)
- Security, Cross-Site Request Forgery protection, XSS filtering and very secure password encryption.
- Caching, in order to achieve maximum performance.
- Translated into 16 languages!
- Extremely lightweight!
- Support for modules, themes, plugins and widgets!
- Multi – Site Manager (In Pro Version £45 )
Really it takes the pain out of making your standard websites, you’ll have an area where the client can update their website in a simple environment and thanks to ‘permissions’ you can be sure they won’t mess anything up!
Of course there is always going to be a stage when your better off without a framework, but for projects that it will work for, PyroCMS will save you a BUNCH of time!
Blacknight haven’t gotten their deserved mention here at all I noticed today, for any of you who are unfamiliar Blacknight are a web hosting company based in Carlow. I myself have been using Blacknight for over a year and a half. [Finally every one of my domains is on Blacknight instead of across multiple register’s!]
But this post isn’t to point out how many domain names I have registered with Blacknight, it is to point out what an amazing hosting company they are, so in a randomly ordered list this is why I love Blacknight;
- Great offers on domains every week, monthly offers are usually emailed to you.. real money saving stuff! 😉
- They accept laser card payments, as we hate having to use the expensive credit card!
- Their hosting is 100% reliable, most hosts tell you they have 99.8% uptime, and then they go up and down constantly, not Blacknight I actually cannot remember a single day where any of my sites went offline for even a half hour. 😀
- Cheaper than the majority of hosts, Blacknight’s lowest package starts at €5 a month, you’d really struggle to find a host that well priced!
- Amazing support; I’ve emailed Blacknight with hosting queries on multiple occasions and they are always extremely quick to get back to you with an answer, calling them is even better and you don’t have to worry about waiting with 1850[callsave].
- A great backup vault that takes care of backups for you, because we all know what happens when you don’t have backups! 😉
- Multiple websites on one package, the reason I originally moved to Servage hosting, if you do web design or just have a lot of websites this is seriously the most money saving feature you can find on a web host.
- VPS’s start at €16 a month, I have yet to upgrade my package to a VPS, I see myself doing it in future especially with the low starting price of €16 a month!